Vidrieras Susi y Julián has carried out several works of manufacture and restoration of artistic stained glass windows both in La Rioja and other regions in Spain. They manufacture monumental pieces, large windows, doors and closing elements of any and every nature, folding screens, skylights, lamps, mirrors and glass sculptures, both large-scale and small-scale ones.
Vidrieras Susi y Julián S.C. is a workshop where everything is manufactured in a completely artisanal way. They use both techniques and materials that have scarcely varied since the 9th century -the moment when the first leaded stained glass elements appear- as well as others which have been developed after that. However, they have not abandoned the manual creation and manufacture, with almost no use of machinery.
This workshop was founded towards the middle of the year 1991 with the aim of giving an up-to-date perspective of the renovated boost that the leaded stained glass windows underwent in the 90’s. They carry out artistic stained glass windows using all kinds of techniques: leaded stained glass windows using copper and with the use of leaded rods; fire-painted with enamels; grisailles and silver stain; with acid treatments; with the incorporation of cibas; glass gems or glass fusion, etc.
Along with the design and realization of stained glass windows, they also offer their experience for the study of the most suitable technical solutions according to the size and location of the projects. They make use of traditional techniques, whose validity (both constructive and aesthetic) is still today completely certain and supported by centuries of usage. Moreover, new materials and constructive systems give solutions to the demands for conservation and consolidation of stained glass windows, as well as to the characteristics of current installations. However, it is the traditional techniques and materials which shape its characteristic expressive value.
They are self-taught artisans.
From the year 2011, they give 2h-per-week courses to two groups of 10 people.
New stained glass windows:
• Church of Santa María de Palacio, Logroño.
• Basilica Virgen del Olmo, Azagra, Navarra.
• Church of San Martín in Sorzano.
• Elciego Town Council, Álava.
• Church of Santiago el Real, Logroño.
• Clavijo Town Council, La Rioja.
• French-Spanish Wine Cellars, Logroño.
• Logroño Town Council, Gota de Leche Building, Logroño.
• Church of the Inmaculada Concepción, Nájera, La Rioja.
• School belonging to the Compañía de María, Valladolid.
• Casa Juan Wine Cellars, Laguardia, Álava.
• Federico Paternina Wine Cellars in Oyauri, La Rioja.
• Church of Nuestra Señora de la Asunción, Arenzana de Abajo, La Rioja.
• Church of Santo Tomás, Haro, La Rioja.
• Chapel of the Chateau du Hammel, Fourmetot, France.
• Church of the Asunción, Manzanares, La Rioja.
• Church of Nuestra Señora de la Anunciación, Hornos de Moncalvillo, La Rioja.
• Fire Station in Logroño.
• Church of San Juan Bautista, Yécora, Álava.
• Santamaría Wine Cellars, Laguardia, Álava.
• San Marcial Basilica, Lardero, La Rioja.
• Church of the Ascensión, San Asensio, La Rioja.
• Hall of Residence belonging to the Compañía de María, Haro, La Rioja.
• Chapel of the Virgin of Olartia, Rodezno, La Rioja.
• Parish Church of San Ignacio de Loyola, Logroño.
• Church of the Asunción in Manjarres.
• Church of San Martín, Alesón, La Rioja.
• Chapel of San Roque, San Millán, La Rioja.
• Church of the Santísima Trinidad, Calahorra, La Rioja.
• Chapel of San Martín, Lumbreras, La Rioja.
Restoration works of stained glass windows: