Torregris is a workshop dedicated to natural stone which combines both technology and artisanal tradition to create elements using this noble material. They elaborate a wide range of pieces, organized according to different work lines. They use different materials such as limestone, marble, sandstone and granite.
In the workshop they combine all sorts of small machinery and tools to work manually with stone with other more modern machinery which speeds up the processes and eases them such as the diamond wire grinders and a 3-axis milling machine.
Angel Mercé Gandía has the Documento de Calificación Artesana awarded by the Generalitat Valenciana.
The knowledge regarding the work with natural stone began with the elaboration in this material of several pieces in a self-taught way with the help of a book that he acquired and all the information that he could find on the subject.
He then reinforced his acquired knowledge by attending several training courses:
– Course “Direct carving in stone” (50 h). Crafts Centre in León (2006).
– Course “Stereotomy and techniques for carving stone” (50 h). Crafts Centre in León (2007).
– Course on “Heraldic stone works” (25 h). Crafts Centre in León (2008).
– Course on “Natural stone arches” (25 h). Crafts Centre in León (2009).
– Participation in the I Symposium on stone sculpture Campa Torres (25 and 26 September 2010) in Gijón (Asturias).
– Course “Direct carving in stone” (40 h). Crafts Centre in León (2016).
In any case, his most important way of learning has come from the many years of work at the workshop, since he set up his company TORREGRIS S.L. in May 2008.
– Former Convent of Sant Domènec (Xátiva). In the chapter house: elaboration of voussoirs for the 14 metres-span arches of the vault, mouldings for the jambs and arches of the large windows and doors, and pieces to cover the buttresses and gargoyles. In the south end of the cloister: elaboration of voussoirs for arches and tas-de-charges of the ribbed vault.
– Casa del Cigroner (Xátiva). Reconstruction of the pointed arch, solid steps located in the patio and the ascending staircase as well as the exterior corners with mouldings and rain gutters.
– Casa del Plataner (Xátiva. Patio arches, columns, portal, exterior corner, fountains, tables, stone pieces…
– Restoration of pieces for the Museum in Xátiva. Old large-size font, puteal of the well in marble.
– Capitals of the Cloister of la Nau (University of Valencia).